Sunday, March 28, 2010

LjjSpeaks BlogPost: Are You An "A" On That? One of the Best Communication Tools I've Ever Learned

Are You An "A" On That? 
Lynne Jarman-Johnson  @LjjSpeaks

Have you ever been in a group or meeting and discussion becomes stalled, even tense, because there is no common ground to land on?  Everyone talks at once or feels strongly about their position and a decision cannot be made. 

I had the the awesome experience of sitting on an executive leadership team of an international manufacturing company.  There were 7 of us on the team.  We were all very strong leaders and we met regularly to keep informed and to make decisions that would impact the future of the company.  It was a great responsibility and I learned and grew as a professional from the experience. As with any team, there were times we were very passionate about our positions and were not afraid to share them.

The President of Butterball Farms, Mark Peters, brought a communication tool to the table one day that changed our meetings.    We called the tool, “Are you an “A” on that?”  Mark had learned this concept at a networking event.  The originator of the idea deserves huge  credit. I’ve googled the concept and couldn’t find it at first blush but if you know the originator please share.

The process for using this tool in teams goes like this:

There is a decision to be made and no consensus in sight. Each member of the team is allowed  to speak in turn and let the other team members know if:

     I’m an “A” on that 
         This is huge for me - I feel very strongly about my position. I don’t need to explain.
         I’m passionate about this and I want people to respect that decision.”

    I’m a “B” on that
        I really support my case. I feel strongly about this but I am ready to listen to your
        opinion and will support the team’s decision.

    I’m a “C” on that
        I have no connection to this issue and I won’t care either way what is decided.

After everyone gives their ranking you know immediately how people stand.  Instead of the back and forth arguing you understand why someone is more passionate about the issue and you can listen with a more open mind. 

This tool works for all decisions you are going to make.  If you meet up with a team member who is an “A” then you know that even if the decision does not go in their favor you need to respect their position.  You also need to weigh if an “A” becomes rejected too many times, how that can make their productivity and collaboration waiver. 

An entire team can be a “B or C” on a particular issue and if the leader (ie: Owner,CEO, President,) is an “A,” that decision may likely stand. even if there are other “A’s” against it.  They are in that position for a reason and deserve respect.

After the decision is made it is critical for everyone on the team to stand behind the decision from that point on. Behind the scenes jockeying for position is over. One United Front is critical.  

And yes, you could say,  “I’m an “A” on that.”

Posted via email from LJJ Speaks!

No comments:

Post a Comment