Monday, May 17, 2010

LjjSpeaks: Shine. Shine. Shine. | Quentin Rynbrandt Class of 2010

I had the great pleasure of attending Baccalaureate 2010 for the Forest Hills Central school district in Michigan and was inspired by all of the presentations, the diverse selections, and heartfelt thought that went into the day to make everyone from all faiths celebrate the ending of this class - and beginning of a new venture.  I have been given permission by the author to distribute this work in its entirety.

Quentin Rynbrandt gave the end presentation and I have asked him if I could showcase it for others to experience.  We often hear about "those kids today.... " This is is an example of "those kids today..." Read the words and ask yourself - what would you do?  All of us can take the time to remember to shine, shine, shine.

------------------------------------ 
Written and Presented by Quentin Rynbrandt, Forest Hills Central Senior - presented at Baccalaureate 2010:

I’d like to thank the guys in my Bible Study group for helping me write this, whether they knew they played a role or not. So boys, Thanks. 

A band that I like, Needtobreathe, sings a song called “Sweet Talker.” They only perform it live; they only sing this song in ear-pounding arenas, corner bars, jammed sanctuaries, or other pulsing venues. The song begins and carries on for a bit, until it hits an epic instrumental part: guitars screaming and drumsticks twirling like dancers. Eventually, when the guitars are out of breath and the drumsticks need a respite, the stage becomes silent for a moment. A spoken refrain then begins to seep through the microphones. It goes like this: “It’s alright, to shine, shine, shine. It’s alright, to shine, shine, shine.” Over and over. Members of the crowd always join in: “It’s alright, to shine, shine, shine.”  The first time I heard this serenade, it was memorable. Slowly, over the last year, the simple words have made the transition from memorable to meaningful. 
I’m envisioning situations that I might encounter in college next year: I’m strolling down a Chicago street with some of the friends I’ve hopefully made.  “It’s cold,” someone mutters. We’re merrily joking and parading up the sidewalk, hoping that light hearts make for warmer toes. As we’re about to cross a street, a man approaches us, clearly cold, sad, and hungry. He asks for money, and most of the guys muster apologetic refusals. The man sighs and speaks an accustomed “God bless you,” then turns to leave. As he does, his eyes grab mine like a left-fielder snatching a would-be home run. He smiles crookedly, and I smile back. Out of nowhere, a whisper finds my ear. 

“It’s alright,” Jesus is saying in a comforting, somewhat urgent tone. “To shine, shine, shine.”
I wonder what I’d do.

Or this one:  My roommate and I have struggled to coexist since Day 1. Our relationship is like this, like we’re trying to diffuse a bomb: the bomb is sitting maliciously, waiting to explode and we have to cut the right wires without setting it off. I always thought that the kinds of things I would struggle with would be the big things, the ones on the grand scale like death, or term papers. I never bothered to worry about the mundane conflicts of everyday life. But each day with my roommate has become a little battle of its own. Waking up to a room littered with uneasiness is taking its toll.  About when I feel like the mousetrap of our relationship is finally going to snap, Jesus whispers to my heart. “Smile,” he says. “Make the most out of things. Be content, be joyful, be forgiving. Shine.” 
I wonder what I’d do.

I should mention that we are graduating from high school. I’ve hiked through a beautiful four- year landscape, and I’m so thankful for every steep slope and every hairpin turn. For every wisp of fog and every thunderstorm. I’m so thankful for this class, the Class of 2010. For the things you’ve all taught me and all the smiles we’ve shared. So as you all go on to claim a life of your own, I hope “to shine” will have meaning to you. I hope it will mean something positive. “To shine” might mean “to care,” or “to work hard,” or “to be an individual,” or “to love.” I know you’ll all glow uniquely, in your own hues of spirit. Some of you will beam like the sun, in waves of compassion. Some of you will shimmer confidently with fun spirit. But however your heart chooses to emit light, I hope you’ll shine for others to see you. So they can see your passion, and your joy, and your love. So they notice something different about you, something special. So upon seeing your light, they begin to glow with life themselves. 

Now, there will be times in the future when lights begin to flicker or fade. Times of uncertainty, or awkwardness, or fear. But in those times, when light seems so far away, I hope a whisper will find your ear. 

I think Jesus would be saying friends, it’s ok. It’s alright. To shine. Shine. Shine. 

Posted via email from LJJ Speaks!

No comments:

Post a Comment