Sunday, September 9, 2012

Let's Create a Full Screen Happy Life

Img_0949
Pretty Stress Free Life Pictured Above! 

I've been spending the morning preparing for a cleaning out of now college freshman Emily's bedroom.
She did a great job packing and sorting.   The left behind is her childhood memories that will be stored away until she's ready to re-open the fun in her own home someday.

My Sunday's are often spent preparing.  I indulge myself with readings all morning  while I ponder the task list in front of me.  Today's task that looms ahead is one that is exciting and yet melancholic at the same time.  Two of the articles I read hit home with me today as I prepare for the challenge:  

The first is from http://zenhabits.net/ and it explains how we need to begin living a Full Screen Life.  

In it author Leo Babauta explains how we often are doing two to three or four things at once:

"We’re doing one work task while trying to stay on top of email, text messages and social media. We’re talking with a friend while seeing what we’re missing on Facebook and Instagram. We’re eating while planning. Making love while thinking about work."  Babauta shares his concept on living a "Full Screen Life" by focusing only on the one task you are doing.  If you are engaging in a discussion with your daughter - don't think about work - truly engage in the moment with your daughter.   He showcases how to do this and encourages practice. 

The second reading came from a review on Gretchen Rubin's new book,  Happier at Home:  ''Kiss More, Jump More, Abandon a Project, Read Samuel Johnson and My Other Experiences in the Practice of Everyday Life.'   Rubin dedicated a school year to making her home a place of greater simplicity, comfort and love.  I would love this book as a Christmas Gift (Hint Hint) and in the meantime have reviewed the reviewer and know that Rubin is on to something.  (‘Happier at Home: Kiss More, Jump More, Abandon a Project, Read Samuel Johnson, and My Other Experiments in the Practice of Everyday Life’ by Gretchen Rubin http://mymindonbooks.com/?p=6142)

Perhaps it is because our home has gone from a loud and open doored place where 6 kids introduced us to every form of friend and foe into a quieter more grown up house with two teenagers who rarely fight and revel in playing games with their ol' Mom and Dad.  Perhaps it's because I'm about to clean out a post-high school girl room and bring more space to what was once a very overcrowded home while celebrating another pretty successful push from the nest.  Either way the two readings that I came across today I believe did not show up by accident.  

The funny thing is - when you are in the midst of the madness of raising kids and raising career goals is when you really need to live a Full Screen Happy Life.  Don't get me wrong. I'm not in any way thinking my life was not full and happy -  I am saying there is comfort in intentional happiness and full attention at work and home. 

I'm excited and humbled at this juncture in our lives.  My work is compelling, challenging and just plain fun.  My life is less stressed with school activities and more open to new learnings and opportunities.  I'm taking the two readings from today and combining them at work and home.  Get ready to practice with me.... let's jump into a Full Screen Happy Life!

Tip #1 for Full Screen Happy Life:    Cards, Dice and Game Boards belong on every table - both office and home - not hidden in closets or drawers! 

Posted via email from MoJoCMO

No comments:

Post a Comment