Monday, October 29, 2012

Weaving Your Work Into The Balance Beam of Life

I love to work.  I love to relax.  I love my family. I love my work family.  I'm tired of people telling me to balance my work and family.  I don't want to balance my work and family because frankly I'm not good at balancing.   I'm clumsy.  I often spill on myself.  If I'm walking on a balancing beam I will fall off.  I don't like falling down or falling off anything.  So I'm done balancing work and life.  I'm going to weave it. Period. 
Weave

Everything I do in my family life invariably relates to my work life and vice versa.  When my kids learn a painful lesson in life I find myself relating that to something happening at work and I try to learn from it myself.  When an "Ah Ha" moment happens at work, I find myself wanting to mimic the positive reactions into my home life.  I'm going to start blogging more about this weaving of my two worlds - in a more structured fashion.  When I do I'll tag / keyword "Weave" so it's simple to find.  I also would love you to share the way you weave through your life.  

My first weave is a simple one - positive reinforcement.  My son came home from a Hockey Tournament and was thrilled with words he heard from coaches. He let us know at the dinner table that complete strangers said really nice things to him about his skating style. How often do we do that in our work - tell people that we don't work with side by side that they are good at what they do?  When someone tells you how does it make you feel? It makes you feel like you want to improve, be better and continue to impress.  Today's Weave of the Day is:  Surprise someone in your work and home life by letting them know you notice something they do very well. 

Posted via email from MoJoCMO

No comments:

Post a Comment